Advice on Buying Used Auto Parts
Keeping your car on the road can be expensive these days. And, in today's economy saving money is more important than ever. But not only can you save money, you can help conserve natural resources, and still get OEM specified parts. That is why millions of people each year elect to purchase used auto parts. So before you make that used auto parts purchase online, here's a guide to help you make sure you are getting the right parts at the best price.
- Whenever you purchase a part, make sure you have your Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) handy.This number can provide the seller with a lot of information about your car, including the year, make and model. Having your VIN available is especially important when purchasing drivetrain components such as engines and transmissions.
- Make sure the company that you are buying the part from offers a warranty on the part and make sure you understand the terms of that warranty.
- Find out how many miles are on the part or whether the part is being sold as rebuilt, remanufactured or used.
- Make your payment with a credit card when possible. Using a credit card may enable you to quickly resolve any disputes with the merchant, should one arise. Check with your card issuer about their dispute resolution procedures.
- Do some research on the merchant. Try locating them in our Salvage Yards directory to see if there are any reviews.
As more and more people use the Internet to help them locate quality used auto parts for their cars, we found that there is a need for an objective directory that would allow discriminating buyers the opportunity to rate and review auto recyclers before and after they make a purchase. It's a democratic process that allows all buyers to make their critical purchases with confidence. To find an auto recycler in your area that adheres to our standards, simply search our Salvage Yards directory.
If you are an auto recycler or part supplier (new, used or rebuilt) and you are interested in responding to the thousands of part requests that our used auto parts locator receives each month, then complete the sell used auto parts form for a free trial subscription.
If you are looking to buy quality used auto parts then complete our used auto parts request form to quickly and easily locate the auto parts you need for your domestic or import car, truck, SUV or van.
Why Buy Used Auto Parts from Auto Recyclers?
There are several reasons why you should always consider buying used auto parts:
- Buying used auto parts allows you to save money. Some conservative estimates have used auto parts priced around 50% cheaper than new auto parts.
- Buying used auto parts allows you to make sure you get parts that are made to fit your car. There's a lot of debate over whether or not aftermarket parts meet the same fit, functionality and quality of OEM parts. When you buy used auto parts you're buying OEM parts made for your car, truck or van.
- By purchasing used auto parts you are doing your part to better the environment. Automotive recycling serves a vital role in preserving natural resources and reducing the demand for scarce landfill space. In addition to conserving natural resources, automotive recycling plays an important role in reducing air and water pollution, and solid waste generation.
Over the years auto recyclers have been called auto wreckers, salvage yards, junk yards, wrecking yards and auto dismantlers. The only term that best describes what they do is auto recycling. They play an integral part in our environment and economy.
Find Used Auto Parts
Need help finding the part you need? Place a part request and let us do the searching.